Welcome to my blog! I'm glad you can join me as I Hunt for Caterpillars! Check back daily for updates.

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Challenge for Today - Working Transects



Answer the questions about the parasites and parasitoids. Today we spent our first time in the field actually hunting caterpillars. It was difficult. We saw a lot of really neat gold orb spiders they are about 6 and 1/2 inches long. Here is a math problem: Today we set up transects that were 10 meters in diameter. What was their radius? Do you think you can determine the area of the transect?

While hunting we looked for evidence that the caterpillars had been eating; chewed leaves, holes in leaves, and missing leaves. We also looked for leaves that were rolled up. The common name for the caterpillars that do this is leaf folders. We found our first caterpillar rolled up in a dry leaf. Then when we had finished that we used a tool called a beat sheet. A large square of taut fabric held beneath the plant to catch any falling caterpillars when the tree was hit with a stick.

7 Comments:

At September 24, 2008 at 2:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I were a parastoid I would pick a strong caterpiller because they have a better chance of survival. My children would have protected body. So if a bird tried to eat the caterpiller, it would spit it out.

Michala Booth

 
At September 24, 2008 at 2:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will lay my eggs on a strong caterpiller. So when they hatch they have something to eat. The eggs will be protected if something tried to hurt the caterpiller. Nothing will happen to the eggs. Then when the eggs hatch they will eat the caterpiller. That is why chose a strong caterpiller.

Mike Ramirez

HI MRS. RETFORD!!!

 
At September 24, 2008 at 2:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will take a caterpiller that is weak so that my babies can eat the it when they hatch. And if they were on the strong caterpiller they would die.

Marco Martinez

Hi Mrs. Retford, I miss you!

 
At September 25, 2008 at 7:54 AM , Blogger Karen Retford said...

Those of you who chose a strong caterpillar are correct. If I am a parasitoid I would want to lay my eggs on a host that is well protected. You want your eggs to develop and hatch, at that point killing your host. Great work! Mrs. Retford

 
At September 28, 2008 at 11:08 AM , Blogger Aquaman said...

I like the answers! I would be a big caterpillar so that all my children have food! Great question mom. Marco that would be great is the strength of the caterpillar is related to resistance to parasites.

 
At May 2, 2010 at 3:14 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

great post as usual!

 
At May 3, 2010 at 6:46 AM , Blogger Karen Retford said...

Wondering how the work is going this year? Does the oil spill affect the work at all?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home